Wednesday 21 June 2017

Red Box Games Njorn Hirdmen

It's been a little while since my last post but I wanted to wait until I'd finished this set of models completely before posting anything. As the title says it's more RBG stuff and long time followers and those with a good memory may notice that these are part of an ongoing commission. I've lost track of how many Njorn/Norse types I've painted as part of this job but even with these there are more still to come!

Anyway, onto the models which personally I don't think are RBGs best. They're multi-part models so come with separate heads and weapon hands. There are five different bodies and heads. I was initially a bit surprised at how flat the bodies were. I've kind of seen a bit of that in other models from RBG but these are very two dimensional looking. Once painted though it wasn't quite so obvious so that's good. I found the heads to be a poor fit on the bodies as well with some only really fitting anywhere close to comfortably on certain bodies. That kind of defeats the purpose of having separate heads. A couple needed trimming down before fitting them as well as they looked like they had a couple of extra vertebrae. All needed gap filling. I'm sure the short spears have a real world equivalent but I find them a little odd being so used to seeing models with longer weapons.

Griping aside, here are the models.





Like I say, I have more to do. There are another ten of these but with hand weapons instead and then some better quality characters. I'll have a bit of a change and do some other bits first though as the limited range of colours used on them can get a little dull after a few models.

10 comments:

  1. I still think that Tre is the best sculptor going, but his proportions have always been off in certain circumstances, some more than others. Especially his fondness for the tiny heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah these chaps have teeny weeny heads and faces. Trying to paint the eyes is a tough job.

      Delete
  2. Completed agree - although I love his sculpts, they are sometimes almost two - dimensional. Beautiful paint job - as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder whether these models might have been somewhat hurriedly sculpted. Were they a Kickstarter project? I know Tre's had problems with projects in the past.

      Delete
  3. Very nice painting as usual but those guys do indeed have very small heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting harder and harder to paint RBG faces.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful group, they look great and motivated!

    ReplyDelete