Tuesday 8 August 2017

Warhammer Cottage - Still working on it

I'm still working on my model cottage. The chimney took quite a while to do so progress was a little slow there. I then had to wait a week to finish my breakfast cereal so I could finally butcher the packet for roof tiles. Reminded me of being a kid eyeing up the cereal packets for some project or other.

Anyway, chimney done and roof in place. Had to cut the roof down as it was a bit too big taken straight from the template. Also a bit of a faff fitting it around the chimney. I used a bit of a plastic brush protector as a base for the chimney pot before wrapping it in putty. I went with plastic sheet for the roof as I recall cardboard warping badly on models I'd built in the past. It could sometimes create a nice sagging effect but that would usually be countered with a horrible bulge opposite.




Roof tiles needed a bit of thought. The White Dwarf article suggests 6mm to 10mm square tiles. 6 looked way too small and 10 too big. I went with 8mm. Still have the nagging feeling they're a touch large but hopefully it'll look alright when done.

Whilst working on the chimney I got a little impatient and started a second cottage. Same basic design but with a small side extension. Notice blood for the blood god on the front wall. Bloody needle files are pointy!


Need to finish the door details before cracking on with the chimney. The plan is to speed up that process by doing a rendered finish on that to match the wall infill. I'll add a few areas of bare stone where the rendering has fallen away but that should come together a lot quicker.



17 comments:

  1. Very nice. The roof tiles look good and the feeling of being a kid waiting for the packet to cut up is a familiar one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first built some of these models I didn't have foam core so I'd glue 4 sheets of cereal packet card together and press it under heavy books. Worked pretty well but I remember asking friends to donate their used cereal boxes to me as I used so much.

      Delete
    2. That's dedication! I managed to find corrugated cardboard but foamcore etc had to wait until I was getting back into the hobby as an adult!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I bought foam core for the first time a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work keeping the texture on the walls so tidy! I can't manage to keep it of the timbers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a small piece of plastic strip to spatula the stuff on so that gives good control. Still needs a little clean up with a wet finger after though.

      Delete
  3. It's been a very long time since I built a cottage like that - yours bring back fond memories. I picked up the 'How to Make Wargames Terrain' by Nigel Stillman (published in 1996) off eBay a few weeks ago, I'd lost my original, it's well worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that have building plans in or is it a more pictures and ideas kind of thing?

      Delete
    2. Pictures and ideas.... the old White Dwarf articles are the only ones that have actual templates/plans (as far as I know).

      Delete
    3. WD154 has a terrain article in that doesn't really explain much about making terrain but it does have some nice examples of different buildings. If I keep going with all this I'll definitely pinch a few of those ideas and I'd love to make the watchtower again that I originally copied from those pics.

      Thumbing through all those old WDs I'd forgotten how much material was produced for WFRP through the Marienburg articles. More importantly though each article has a couple of buildings and locations listed with diagrams and illustrations that are a good source of ideas.

      Delete
  4. These have inspired me to dusty off my old buildings and give them a spruce up. Your models look really well constructed too, the rest of us have to contend with crooked joists and leaky glue stains. ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will we see pics of your buildings? I kind of wish I still had my old ones just for nostalgia and comparison.

      I don't think I've done anything special as far as the construction of these goes but I am naturally inclined to keep things neat. It does mean I don't tend to get that nice ramshackle look though, at least not without some effort and even then it can look a little contrived. These are surprisingly solid models. Once the timbering is in place and the rendering applied it really reinforces the structure. No fear of it falling apart. :)

      Delete
  5. The green stuff chimney looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It took a while to do but was very satisfying.

      Delete
  6. I wrongly scaled the photocopy of the cottage so the result was too little! I was very young and enthusiastic so i decided to build it even if underscaled but at the end I (sadly) aborted the project... I kept him in my "Maybe I Will Finish It" box for years but at the end I thrashed him... Time to build a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth building another. :)

      Delete
    2. I've notice tomorrow you replied me in the other article! For the same comment! August: month for holidays in Italy, especially for my mind!

      Delete