Monday 21 August 2017

Warhammer Cottage No.2

I've been busy working on my second cottage model. Just like the first one it's now ready for painting and basing. Changed a couple of things on this one. Most obvious is the rendered chimney. I wanted to do it a little differently to the bare stone of the first model and also do something a little quicker. I made the exposed stones the same way as before, placing them in patches and then using my filler mix to cover the rest of the chimney. The roof tiles are a little smaller this time too. I went for 7mm square tiles over the 8mm ones. I think they look a little better and not quite as big. They were tricky to keep alternating evenly though and I had to trim a lot to fit. Not a problem really on a roof that needs to look rustic but could be an issue on other models.




I also got a little carried away and printed out plans for the next building in the series, the small town house from WD131. Ended up cutting out parts for two houses so I can try a different wall infill on one.


For now though I think I should put some thought into how to paint the first two models before getting too far along with these. It's very addictive making these though.

9 comments:

  1. You'll have a decently sized village soon - are you going to try to make things like a tavern or blacksmith's dwelling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to work through the various WD articles so there are a few more house designs, a coaching inn and I might do the mine and ruined temple too. In an ideal world anyway.

      There are a few models from WD back in the day, just pics anyway that I'd like to copy. I also think there's a wealth of ideas in the various WFRP articles in WD. Lots of buildings with floor plans to base models on, even a few illustrations here and there. I'll see how it goes though.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work 👍👍👍 that rendered chimney looks like a very good idea. I built one of these houses and I can confirm it is a bit addictive (I have managed to resist doing a second so far though!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) The chimney was much quicker than the full stone one although the filler did need careful application. I'd like to make another cottage when I've got some of the other buildings done so I can change the design a little. Maybe one with a side extension and the door on the gable end instead.

      Delete
  3. So you get addicted to cardfoam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love slicing through it with a fresh scalpel blade :)

      Delete
  4. Looks great, I can't believe how cleanly you apply the filter without getting any on the timber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use a piece of plastic strip as a tiny spatula. A bit does get on the wood but a damp finger easily cleans it up.

      Delete