Sunday, 17 April 2016

Urban War Viridian Colonial Marines

A couple of weeks ago I dug out a handful of Urban War models I'd painted years ago and having got a few additional models prepped and undercoated and gathering dust since 2006 I decided to see if I could replicate my original colour scheme.


The first of these Colonial Marines was painted in 2005 so 11 years down the line and I think I've got it pretty much spot on! Original paint job on the left and my recent one on the right. The only thing that is noticeably different is the colour of the bed roll on the back pack. Thought I remembered the colours I'd used but I think two of the paints used have changed formula a little over the years.


I made a few slight improvements as well. The metal of the gas mask is a little cleaner, the gun is cleaner and better defined and the muddy boots look a bit better. I also added some rust to the knee armour. As you can see I'm rebasing the old models as I prefer regular slotta bases on these. Got plans for a better base for the Saurian Rider too although I'll likely have to make that myself as I can't find exactly what I want. I'll also retouch a few things like the guns and gas masks to match my current paint job.

In case anyone was wondering, the numbers on the shoulder pads are random but intended to help identify the models. When I was originally thinking of getting a game in with these the numbers seemed the best way to go. I didn't want them to be just 1, 2, 3... etc as different combinations of models would be out of order if I dropped some and added others. From a fluff standpoint I'm saying they're temporary numbers assigned to each soldier for each mission.

4 comments:

  1. It's cool to see the difference 11 years of refinement have on your style. Without reading the words, i was able to pick out the newer job. The gun jumped right out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving the old model the redux treatment right now! Hopefully another coat of varnish will flatten the shine of the older one too.

      Delete
  2. Nice comparison of your painting there Stone. Regarding the numbering on the shoulders, I've been trying to think of a way to denote my Space Wolves from each other's unit. I think I'll be stealing your approach as it looks like a realistic method of marking your them.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit like the numbering used in sports teams I guess. The numbers don't necessarily run consecutively. If Urban War were an army sized game with full units (like Metropolis!) then I might have added something else to mark each soldier's unit. Maybe three numbers with one being a unit number like the old WW2 German tank numbers or use a letter instead.

      Delete