Saturday, 30 April 2016

Hamburger Wizard

Had a couple of oldies to paint up which proved to be a really nice change from everything else I've been working through this year. As nice as some models are, they can wear you down a bit with the mountains of fiddly detail or the realistic sculpting styles that have you straining to paint faces and the like. Some nice chunky old school caricature can be the perfect antidote.

I don't know too much about the 'Hamburger Wizard' other than it being Citadel and listed as 'unreleased'. I don't know if it was originally known by that name but I recall some discussion years ago somewhere online as to whether he's offering a burger or a muffin on a napkin covered plate. I've seen both ideas painted in the past so when I was asked to do this fella I had to check which way to go. Burger it was! Love the details on the model from the teddy bear and treats to lure the children to the severed heads of his victims. I do wonder whether the kiddy killing aspect of the model had anything to do with it not getting released, but then again I'm sure someone will have a far simpler explanation.


There's also an old Citadel half-orc and a resin mutant 'dog' which I can't place so no idea who makes it. Fun to do and a bizarre skin colour for the orc. He's supposed to be some kind of vampire henchman I think. I wasn't sure it would look right but it turned out quite nicely in the end.


11 comments:

  1. Ace work on such a classic!! Great to see it get such excellent treatment!
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent as always. By the way, the dog comes from the Figone Miniatures range:
    http://www.figone.fr/en/le-voreur/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That burger/muffin is a bit of a tricky one isn't it Stone? It could be either one really, but it's probably meant to be a muffin.....just so happens that it paints up well as a burger :)

    It's a great looking mini either way, a lot going on on him isn't there. Top job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffin fits well with the sweets and treats in his bag but who can resist a Big Mac from a wizard? lol

      Delete
  4. Fantastic job! It's probably a burger because back when it was sculpted muffins were not widely available in shops. Back in the 80s, it was Mr Kipling or nothing. Burgers weren't even that ubiquitous, but I think I remember an interview whereby several members of the 80s GW team would regularly meet in Wimpys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wimpys is a blast from the past! I was shocked whilst at university to find they still had a Wimpys in Stafford. Fast food but served on plates with cutlery. Utterly bloody bizarre!

      Delete
  5. Excellent work! The neutral greys of the wizard's robe contrasts nicely with the more varied colours of the burger and other assorted goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete