Saturday, 6 February 2016

Infinity stuff

It's been a while since my last update here. As usual I've been posting things on my Facebook page on a pretty regular basis. Both my blog activity and forum postings have diminished simply because it's more time consuming to post the same stuff everywhere. Between the website, blog, Facebook, and in the past potentially four or more forums it's just a pain in the arse. Plus there were times when the forum posts just felt like spam. Copying and pasting the same text onto a different forum can be a bit shitty I think but personalising each post makes the process take more time. It's all first world nonsense I suppose.

Anyway since I last posted here I've done various things and lost track of everything I've not shown. I'm sure the more devoted of you have seen things elsewhere. So this post is of some more Infinity stuff that I've just finished and few bits that I did back in December but that I know I haven't shown here.

First up a Mercenary Authorised Bounty Hunter.


Next some Zond Remotes. These can have four weapon configurations so we've got one of each here.


There's also a size comparison pic with the Merc.


Then it's onto the stuff I did last year. A set of hackers or in Infinity speak 'Tunguska Interventors' with a pair of 'Fastpandas'. Went for a Tron thing on the two hackers.


A Vortex Spec. Ops. I'll call him Gary.


And finally another pair of drones, Salyut Zonds this time. These are bigger than the previous models but I didn't think to take a size comparison shot.


Someone over on Lead Adventure Forum (I do occasionally still post there!) asked me what I thought of the Infinity stuff as they were looking to buy some models. I'll reiterate here what I said there. They look great once painted up and it is satisfying to see a force come together (wish I was able to take group pics of everything I've done so far) but they are a lot of work to paint, I find anyway.

My biggest problem with a lot of the models is the assembly side of things. Lots of parts and small, delicate pieces that are really hard to securely fit can be a pain and results in a lot pinning in some cases. The Merc Bounty Hunter came in five pieces for example but I'm sure a skilled mould maker could have gotten the same level of quality from the casting with three or even two pieces (maybe even a single piece casting!). The drones quite understandably came in a number pieces. That's to be expected for models like that. The four recent models I did came in six to nine parts depending on the weapon configuration used. I found that every piece needed pinning together though, especially the sensor vanes on the rear and the weapons. Without doing that these things would likely end up in bits long before they got to the tabletop. Even with the pinning though the two rear side vanes are still very delicate and could be easily knocked off due to not having enough depth to the drill holes (in the vanes in this case). Also the two larger drones had no means of mounting them on a base as the 'feet' didn't offer enough surface area to drill into. I ended up having to clumsily pin into the body and have the pin on view. Almost had a similar issue with the four smaller drones but a thin drill bit and a very steady hand meant I was able to pin them through the wheel units (more bloody pinning though!).

In summary, great looking models but you might have to do a lot of fiddly assembly work (that could have been avoided with better designs) and still be left with some quite delicate models that might be an issue if you're a gamer rather than display painter.






11 comments:

  1. Stunning! Got me some Infinity Minis myself, Mobile Brigada. Just don't know how to paint them yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you stuck for colour schemes or are the models just a bit daunting?

      Delete
    2. Both actually! Giraldez' artwork is quite intimidating ;-)

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean. Once you get going though the models aren't as scary.

      Delete
  2. Sublime! Thanks for updating your blog - I don't use Facebook due to the profession I work in so I can only see your new works when you post here. It was your version of Nicodemius the Mordheim wizard that sent me straight to eBay to get one of my own to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it didn't cost you too much! Glad it inspired someone though.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about posting the same stuff on multiple sites. For me, I can't stand Facebook, it's GUI is terrible....can't for the life of me understand how it became successful with it'the layout they designed. But it's also a massive time sink, whereas looking at your blog feed only takes a minute to see what interests you & you can actually "see" at a glance what's what! As opposed to Facebook :)

    Anyway, rant over. My point was that I too only ever see your awesome painting here, on your blog. So I hope you'll update it when you can. Please don't dump it, it that's what you were considering doing Stone.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried reluctantly getting into Facebook previously but the layout was horrendous. Thankfully by the time I decided to try it again they'd updated it and it's much cleaner now. I still somehow managed to set up a FB page without having a FB profile page which is apparently something you shouldn't do!

      With FB I can throw a photo on there and just say 'I'm painting this now' and leave it at that but with the blog I always think I should say more. Treating my blog the way I treat FB would feel again almost like spamming. Still, no plans to drop the blog.

      Delete
  4. Stunning work! I will admit to disliking Facebook as their algorithms mean it's easy to miss stuff other people have posted.

    I've also had massive problems with Infinity assembly, and it's basically the reason I've not done much Infinity since the start of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, assembling Haqqislam models for the first time led to me uttering the longest string of expletives in many years. I'm an experienced modeller, who's fastidious with pinning metals, but on more than one model, I just said 'sod it' and am now trusting to green stuff and zap-a-gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can find a painting service that will do high quality pinning assembly and undercoating for a reasonable and fair price, I am RIGHT THERE...

      Delete