Saturday, 1 March 2014

Old paint jobs

I've seen a lot of painters over the years post photo's of their very early attempts at painting figures. Whenever a thread like that has popped up on a forum I've always claimed I've nothing to show as I've got a tendency to strip old paint jobs. Whilst I still own a number of my very first models, they've perhaps been repainted several times and finally gone into the old jam jar of cleansing. But it turns out I do still have a few models that haven't been stripped (yet!)! A handful of Grenadier halberdiers and a knight.


Now these aren't some of my very first paint jobs, they're long gone. These were probably done when I was about 15 and are a big improvement over a lot of my initial attempts. When I first started painting I was daubing things with old enamel paints before quickly moving onto Citadel acrylics and picking up tips in White Dwarf. Back then GW was all about base coats, ink washes and drybrushing. So for a few years that's what I did and the results weren't great. Then I picked up a copy of Heroes for Wargames, a book about gaming, RPG's and miniatures written with the assistance of GW and probably out of print even then. The most useful part of the book was a little section that explained how to paint models. The technique covered was that of layering and there was even a table showing what colours to use for base coats and what colours to add for highlights. I tried this new technique out on an old plastic Skaven model (from the Warhammer regiments boxed set) and was amazed at how much control it gave over the paint and how good the end results were. These Grenadier pieces were quite likely done a year or maybe two after first trying the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment