Sunday, 12 January 2014

Felix & Gotrek + others

Well here we are, I've finally got decent pics of everything I painted for this particular commission. I have to admit I completely underestimated how long it was going to take to paint up these models. That did begin to get a little frustrating but I'm happy with the end results which is important.

Felix Jaeger


A few people have mentioned the stripes and asked how I do them. What I tend to do is base coat the whole area in the lighter colour and when that's fully dried I just draw the lines in with a pencil as a guide. The paint needs to have hardened off rather than just being touch dry otherwise it's really easy to scratch it off with the pencil. I then carefully paint in the darker colour and retouch the lighter colour where needed (whether it's wobbly line work or silvery pencil marks that need covering). Then I highlight the stripes not only to pick out the creases in the clothing but to also add a bit of depth to them.

With the cloak I found my usual layering technique for highlighting a bit too laborious as it's quite a large and relatively smooth surface. it proved fine for doing the creasing around the neck and shoulders but for the rest of the cloak I stippled the colour on with a larger soft brush. This saved a lot of time and also created a nice soft graduation from one highlight layer to another. I used the same technique on Ulrika's coat.

Gotrek Gurnisson


Ulrika Straghov


When I first started this piece I intended to do some sort of pattern on the interior of the coat. To help make doing that a little easier as well as painting some of the other areas I left the torso and legs separate. After a few attempts at freehand I wasn't so sure it was working so I painted over them and just glued the model together and continued working on other areas. As it came together though I realised the coat interior really did need something adding. I came up with a few doodles and settled on this simple curly design. Freehanding this sort of thing can be rather hit and miss for me, especially when trying to reproduce the same design so I resorted to yet again penciling it in as guide. That followed by a bit of careful overpainting worked out surprisingly well and gave the coat that little something it needed.

The basing for these three models is also a little different to what I normally do as they don't have and grass tufts added and the mossy growth on the rocks is painted. Painting grass is rather old school and whilst it looks great if you're going for that old school vibe, I'd moved away from it many years ago preferring the various synthetic materials available. With having to paint the moss though I didn't want to mix old school with grass tufts as it can look rather odd.

I base coated the moss the same colour as the sand I'd added to the base which was VMC USA Olive Drab. I then heavily overbrushed that with VGC Yellow Olive and partly covered the sand texturing with it as well. To make it look a bit greener I began to add VGC Livery Green which is very bright on it's own but mixed with the rather drab Yellow Olive it works well. As I worked the colour lighter I kept the overbrushing quite light as well to avoid streaking the paint and picked individual bits of texture out to define some areas better. I then added a little VGC Dead Flesh to the green and then a little VMC Silvergrey for some of the lightest highlights. The bare earth was overbrushed with VGC Earth and then VGC Khaki and the green and brown areas blended together to look more natural. I added a little glaze of GW Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade to the green areas too.

And a barbarian hero from Avatars of War.

No comments:

Post a Comment