Sunday, 1 December 2013

Adventurers and some bad guys

After spending most of my time painting pack animals and tiny familiars I've finally finished off the set of adventurers I was working on! Just to pick up where my last post left off, I did end up going back to that converted pack donkey (or is it a mule? I don't know) and added a couple of extra bits. The plan was to just fill in behind the baggage with putty and leave it at that but it still left some pretty obvious gaps and I decided that something was needed to fill them. The old bits box didn't have anything suitable in it so I had a stab at making some pouches with the left over putty. Nothing fancy but I was rather surprised by how well they came out. I made three in total and they worked perfectly to blend all the other bits together. I forgot to take pics before I undercoated the model so apologies for the hard to see detail here. There are two pouches on the front and one to the rear. 


It turned out that I had to do a fair bit more work on these last few pieces than I first expected. Nothing over the top, just some basic stuff that I'd either not planned on or had overlooked. The main thing I had completely missed with the mules and familiars were the bases, or more accurately, the underside of the bases. You see, all the models I'd painted up so far had required magnetic material sticking to the underside of the bases. Not a problem when the bases are solid metal castings, but these last few models were all mounted on slotta bases which don't have a solid bottom. To create a solid base to attach the magnetic sheet to I filled in as much of the underside with scrap plastic and then used Milliput to even the surface out. Once dry I sanded the putty smooth (Milliput is much better for sanding than Green Stuff) and gave the bases a quick wash and dry before sticking the magnetic sheet on.

The three pack mules also needed their base tops finishing. I'd got two flagstone base toppers that needed to be cut up and divided between the three bases and the gaps filled in with putty to create areas of broken ground. The old razor saw came in very handy for cutting the toppers up and with a bit of filling they were good to go. I couldn't finish the broken ground though until the models were attached to the bases as I had to fill around some of the mules hooves to give a clean fit.

The familiars bases weren't quite as much work but I did add some Milliput flagstones to a couple of the bases as I thought the models would just look better for it. When making my own flagstones I generally cut them from little sheets of dried Milliput that I roll out. I actually made a little jig for getting the thickness exact a while back so I guess I should show my process at some point. Using dried putty rather than sculpting wet enables you to get nice sharp edges if desired but it also makes adding chips and cracks much easier and I think gives a much more pleasant end result.

Anyway I suppose I should show some pictures after all that waffling.


Also in my last post I mentioned a few pieces I'd done for Crooked Dice, well here they are. Bolo the martial artist and some Thuggee warriors.


All of these pictures are also in my gallery. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! All this eye candy is blowing my mind!

    This is all so good is hard to point out anything in particular. It's great to see some animals for a change and - damn - those donkey mules turned out great. Lovely!

    This made me think: I'd love to one day see a book full of your works. Make sure the photos you take of your stuff have a big enough resolution. You never know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every one is a masterpiece...seriously impressive. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Those are very impressing miniatures. I wish I found your blog earlier:D

    ReplyDelete