Saturday, 31 August 2013

Still painting...


Honest!

Again it's been a little while since my last update. I've been busy painting some rather labour intensive models which I'll hopefully get to show sometime soon. It's been one of those jobs that's gobbled up some of my free time too, so as ever my own projects have been sidelined for the past few weeks. I did however paint up another Bretonnian foot knight just before starting my last commission but I forgot to photograph it when I last had the camera out. Anyway, here he is:



This is another of those models that I bought back when they were first released in the early 90's. When painting these figures I've tried to remember my original colour schemes from before the 'big strip' and use those but they weren't all good choices I have to admit. I originally had two copies of this model, one was painted with green and white horizontal stripes and the other was black with a yellow bend (bit of heraldric terminology there for a diagonal stripe). Both perfectly acceptable heraldries but neither really worked with the model. I do find that some shapes and colours seem to suit one model better than another. After a bit of thought I decided that blue and yellow would work and went for a nice simple quartered heraldry.

I did make a start on another knight but only got as far as doing the armour, which I guess is about half the job with these models. The plan is to go with a white background and a black eagle for that knight's heraldry but that'll require me to make up a decal for the bird. If I just needed one image then I'd perhaps have a stab at freehand but seeing as I want the same image on both sides of the knight's tabard and on his shield it's a bit much for my skills, hence the cheat! I'm not sure if the decal will look right on the tabard and if I end up scrapping the idea then I'll go with the much simpler design of a black cross of some sort. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to do a bit of work on it.


8 comments:

  1. Excellent as usual. I just wonder where you get your shield?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the old Citadel plastic shields from back in the day. The sprue had a small shield like this one, a larger version, a longer one with a rim and a long norman style shield with a rim.

      Delete
  2. Looking good StoneCold...a group shot is going to be in order hen you get a couple more done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this rate that'll be bloody christmas! I'd love to have a stab at my mounted knights too, especially after grabbing quite a few extras off Ebay. I've actually got quite a respectable little force of these Bretonnians now but like everything else they're all bare metal. Going through the old army lists (and using the updated page from WD) I've got enough stuff for 30 mounted knights (split into 3 lots of 10), 20 mounted men-at-arms, 2 small units of bowmen, 1 small unit of crossbowmen, a good sized unit of foot knights and a small unit of retainers, plus a cannon. I've got some BTD HYW models that I could proxy in at a push which would bulk out my melee infantry. If only it was all painted... maybe next years Oldhammer day?

      Delete
  3. Looking great as usual! He looks quite well proportioned but some of the Citadel/Foundry sets of foot knights still available look a little stunted, is that the case?

    Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sizes of these models vary a bit. This one's one of the smaller models whilst others are a little bulkier. In comparison to the Foundry ex-Citadel castings, of the packs I bought, I found them generally a little too small to match up with these Bretonnians. Now the sizes in those packs varies a bit as well. I got two packs of men-at-arms hoping to add them to my Bret. retainers but out of the 16 models only a couple mix well size-wise. I also got a big pack of archers all of which are way too small to use. All in all very disappointing. Interestingly though I recently picked up a bunch of archers off Ebay and among the lot was an original Citadel casting of one of the models that Foundry now produce, and it's actually a bit larger than the Foundry version! About 1mm taller and a little bulkier all round, and it doesn't look too out of place next to the Bretonnians (it's also a far better casting). Looks like Foundry's stuff might be suffering from quite a bit of shrinkage. I'd be interested to see more original Citadel castings next to the Foundry ones.

      Delete
  4. Excellent paint job, blue and yellow always look great together. I have a whole Bretonnian army painted the same way, except not as good as yours.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exceptional work, I love it. Those foot knights are my inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete