Saturday, 31 August 2013
Again it's been a little while since my last update. I've been busy painting some rather labour intensive models which I'll hopefully get to show sometime soon. It's been one of those jobs that's gobbled up some of my free time too, so as ever my own projects have been sidelined for the past few weeks. I did however paint up another Bretonnian foot knight just before starting my last commission but I forgot to photograph it when I last had the camera out. Anyway, here he is:
This is another of those models that I bought back when they were first released in the early 90's. When painting these figures I've tried to remember my original colour schemes from before the 'big strip' and use those but they weren't all good choices I have to admit. I originally had two copies of this model, one was painted with green and white horizontal stripes and the other was black with a yellow bend (bit of heraldric terminology there for a diagonal stripe). Both perfectly acceptable heraldries but neither really worked with the model. I do find that some shapes and colours seem to suit one model better than another. After a bit of thought I decided that blue and yellow would work and went for a nice simple quartered heraldry.
I did make a start on another knight but only got as far as doing the armour, which I guess is about half the job with these models. The plan is to go with a white background and a black eagle for that knight's heraldry but that'll require me to make up a decal for the bird. If I just needed one image then I'd perhaps have a stab at freehand but seeing as I want the same image on both sides of the knight's tabard and on his shield it's a bit much for my skills, hence the cheat! I'm not sure if the decal will look right on the tabard and if I end up scrapping the idea then I'll go with the much simpler design of a black cross of some sort. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to do a bit of work on it.