Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Still obsessed with Bretonnians

I know it's been a little while since I last posted anything about my Bretonnians but I certainly haven't forgotten them. I finished another double handed weapon guy a few weeks ago and just finished the last of the bunch, bar the base of course. 


As much as I intended to just paint up whatever models I currently have and not worry too much about filling out 'proper' units (I'm not really following any army lists or even a particular rule set) I am quite keen to build up these random odds and ends into units. I've now got 5 of these guys painted and that's all I have although there are two sword armed retainers that I'll paint in the same colours eventually and I've got a spare foot knight that's had his two handed axe cut away (I can't remember where he came from but it's been floating around my bits box for a while) and with a little work I could make him into a standard bearer for the unit. So that gives me 8 models which is still a little shy of what I'd ideally like. I missed out on two models on Ebay recently which would have been perfect. I was outbid in the final seconds on one and the other I forgot all about but seeing as the final price was £16 I didn't mind. I might try Foundry's ex-Citadel stuff but that will have to wait for a while.

Anyway I've already dug out some more models to be going on with.


There are the two swordsmen I mentioned, five crossbowmen and a Foundry monk from their medieval range. I replaced the original Citadel plastic crossbows with Foundry metal castings. The Citadel plastics always looked a bit too big and like they were just stuck on. The Foundry crossbows though are a perfect fit and look part of the model. I really want to crack on and get some of these painted but I'm still deliberating on the crossbowmen's heraldry. Might go with red and a white cross of some sort although there's only one model where it'll be possible to see all of that as the rest are wearing gambesons (or whatever they're called), mail and leather armour.

6 comments:

  1. Didn't know that Foundry had released metal Xbows... Thanks for the tip, I need some for my Imperial dwarfs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work really well but I can't find them on the new look Foundry site. Probably need to email or call them to get a set.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I've seen that :( I'll try the email.

      Delete
  2. Stunning brushmanhip. The flesh tones are spot on, it is refreshing to see a face without all the lines that seems to be the fashion these days. May I ask what colours you use for the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks oldschool :)

      The flesh colours are VMC Tan Earth and a touch of VGC Beasty Brown for the base colour then that's highlighted with more Tan Earth, then VGC Bonewhite is added and finally a bit of white. I also add a glaze of GW Agrax Earthshade and old Ogryn Flesh at the end.

      Delete